During his travels as a sales man, Newton A. Roads, saw that public libraries were being built in many Indiana towns. He then conceived the idea that one could be built in Atlanta. He inquired of Henry N. Sanburn, the State Librarian, as to how to proceed in order to obtain a donation from the Carnegie Corporation. Also, how to obtain the township's support for maintenance of the library after the building was complete.
Mr. Roads was informed, that the laws of the State provided for the maintenance of public libraries by the levy of a special tax not to exceed 1 mill on the $1 dollar of taxable property in the township, and first to secure the township's aid. The law also provided for the creating of a library board.
Mr. Roads selected I.M. Gasho and H.E. Snyder to assist him in this great undertaking. A subscription list was started, as provided by the law, securing the amount of $91.36 the same being based on the taxible property in the town of Atlanta, Indiana for the purpose of securing the organization of a library board and to secure the township's support. No one person could could subscribe more than 2% of the $91.36. The subscription was raised in a few hours. Then a petition containing 68 signatures of property owners in the township was produced. The petition was then presented to the Township Trustee and Township Advisory Board. They at once passed a resolution that they would at their regular meeting in September levy a library tax of 1 mill on th e$1.00 of taxable property in Jackson Township for the maintenance of a public library inthe town of Atlanta.
In September of 1916 the Carnegie corporation addressed a letter to Mr. H.E. Snyder, the secretary of the Atlanta-Jackson Township Public Library board, informing that their request for funds was approved and that $10,000.00 was available for the erecting of the library building.
In 1997 the name of the library changed to Hamilton North Public Library, and the main branch was moved to Cicero. The original Atlanta building stands to this day as it was originally built in 1917, with only a few renovations on the inside.